TUNI Groups is a messaging and group work service for groups of the higher education community. Members from outside the community can also be invited.
TUNI Groups is a collection of Office 365 applications including SharePoint, Teams, Planner and Stream. You can order s group for various purposes.
TUNI Groups will replace the Office 365 group work services of TAMK and the University, also Office 365 Sites of the TAMK and Teamwork of the TUT.
You can download the application for mobile devices as well, but it is recommended to use TUNI Groups on computers where the features provide the best user experience. As a staff member or student, you can download Office ProPlus application package from the Office 365 portal on your personal computer and edit the group’s shared files.
TUNI Groups group types
In the TUNI Groups service, there are three different types of groups. When ordering a group, please select the group type. The groups have different life spans (life cycles), selections of applications and default applications. Each group must have an owner to manage the group members’ user rights and settings. The subscriber of the group becomes automatically the owner, but the owner can also give owner rights to some of the group members.
|Group type||For whom||For what purpose||Life cycle||Ordering|
|Basic||Staff and students||Short term working and student projects||1 year. Can be extended 1 year at a time.||The group is created within 15 minutes from the order|
|Education||Teachers||For teaching. Sharing study materials and assignments; forum for students and teachers.||1 year. Can be extended 1 year at a time.||The group is created within 15 minutes from the order|
|Organization||Units and groups of the higher education community||The units and groups of the higher education community.||Will not be deleted automatically||An optional organization group can be ordered if the need of the group is justified. The service owner checks the order and either accepts or rejects it.|
The name on email address of the group
A group name always has a TG prefix so that the group can be identified e.g. in the address book. The group will get an email address, which can be used when communicating with people outside the higher education community. The owner must activate the incoming mail option from the group settings.
The email address comprises of the TG prefix, the name of the group and @groups.tuni.fi ending, for example firstname.lastname@example.org. A business address with @tuni.fi ending can be ordered for Organization groups.
N.B! Scandinavian dotted letters or special characters will be automatically removed from the address. When ordering the group, you can change the address in the Site Address field. The text in the Site Address field is used to create both the group site address and the email address. A separate form field for specifying the email address is coming.
The users and the visibility of the group
There are three user roles in a group: owner, member and guest. Owners can manage the user rights and the settings of the group. Members can edit end delete the contents but cannot change the group settings or add members to the group. Members of a private group can add users from the higher education community but the owner must accept them. If the group is public, the members of the higher education community can join the group and the owner’s approval is not required.
You can invite people from outside the higher education community if the owner has allowed it when ordering the group. The people outside the organization are always added as Guests. Users with Guest user right have a restricted right to use the group applications and contents. Please read about the limitations of the Guest role on the instruction page.
Ordering a TUNI Groups group
Browse to the TUNI Groups front page https://tuni.fi/groups/.
- Click on the Create Group button
- Select the type of the group: Basic or Organization (Education will be added later)
- Select the status of the group: Private or Public.
- Give the group a descriptive name (max. 60 characters).
- If needed, change the address of the group site at the Site address field. Site address will also from the email address of the group.
- Provide a description of the group. Please be precise!
- Add the owners of the group. You can add owners after the group has been created as well.
- Add the members of the group. You can add members after the group has been created as well.
- Choose if people ouside the community can be allowed to the group.
- Select the correct Target describing the size of the group. This information will be used in the Search feature to help finding the group.
- Click the Order Group button.
Basic and Education groups will be automatically accepted within 15 minutes of the order. The maintenance will check and accept the Organization groups. Please be precise when describing the purpose of the group so that the need of the group can be verified.
When the group is ready, the members and the owners will receive an automatic email. The group will be displayed on the TUNI Groups front page where the applications can easily be accessed.
Adding and deleting members
The group owner can manage the members at the application settings.
Managing members in the Teams application
- Open Teams and Team sites page
- Click the Settings button on the right side of the Team site name (three dots)
- Select Manage team
- Add and delete the members.
- You can also change the members’ roles.
Managing the members in Group email browser view
- Open Outlook in the browser view.
- Log in to the group by using your TUNI email address and password.
- Open the Group menu and select the group.
- Add members according to Microsoft instructions.
- In the browser, the owner can create a member link. By clicking the link, the users can request for a group membership. If the group is private, the owner must accept the requests.
It may take a few hours before the new members and owners or a changed member type are displayed in the applications.
TUNI Groups front page and group cards
On TUNI Groups (https://tuni.fi/groups/) front page, you can find all the groups in which you are a member or an owner. The Group front page is also accessible from the Office 365 portal app launcher. The groups are represented in cards with information on the group. The groups are arranged alphabetically. You can filter the groups in the Filter menu by adding the group type or group target. You can also find groups by entering a search in the Search field. On the Discover page you can search and join open groups.
You can set groups as favorites by clicking the heart icon on the group card. Your favorite groups are prioritized in the group listing making it easier to find them. By clicking the heart icon again, you can deselect the group. If there is a lock icon on the group card, the group is private.
The Group image and headline are links to the group’s default application. The default application of the Basic and Education groups is Teams group site. The default application of the Organization group is SharePoint file library.
By clicking on the menu button (three dots) at the top of the group card, you can open the menu to select the group’s other applications.
The group owner can add extra applications to the menu and modify the card settings. The owner can change the default application if the most used application is not the current default.
The owner can also link external services or important contents to the group card’s application menu. The owner of a project group, for example, could link an hourly progress page or a wiki area of the project. A teacher could link a Moodle course to the application menu.
The owner can change the default application by selecting the application in the Default app selection.
The owner can change the group related settings in the application settings:
- Changing the name and description of the group
- Adding and deleting group members, promoting a member to an owner, demoting an owner to a member
- Adding a group image
- Making a group public or private
- Changing the access of external members
- Enabling the group to receive external emails
- Deleting a group before the end of it’s life cycle
Tuni Groups teams have access to several applications suited for different types of working, teaching and learning. The applications include SharePoint for shared files, Teams channel for conversations and video meetings, Planner for task management and Stream for videos. The group applications are connected in many cases. For example, the files in Teams channels are saved in the SharePoint file library and Teams channel videos are saved in Stream.
The internal conversations and video meetings (Team channel)
You can create conversation channels in a Teams group. In the channel, you can send messages and have video meetings with the group members. In a Teams group, you can work on common files which are saved in the group’s SharePoint library. Other applications, such as Planner and Stream can be added to a Teams group as well.
- Learn about Teams application
- Download and install Microsoft Teams on your computer and phone
- Create channels for common subjects
- Start a channel conversation
- Add and create files
- Add tabs to channels
- Schedule a video meeting
- Join a video meeting
- Share content in a video meeting
- Record a video meeting
- Play and share a recorded video meeting
Group email and calendar (Group Outlook)
You can communicate with people from outside the organization by using the Outlook browser view. Each group member can read the incoming messages and can forward them to their personal TUNI email address. The group owner must change the email settings for the group to be able to receive external emails.
Everyone can send emails. In the email, the sender’s personal address will be displayed. However, you can send emails in the name of an Organization group. This requires a setting to be changed and users to be assigned.
A calendar can be used for the group’s scheduled meetings. The meetings can also be copied to the members’ personal calendars.
- Open Outlook in the browser view.
- If required, log in using your TUNI email address and password.
- Open the Group menu and select the correct group.
- Compose and send email according to Microsoft instructions.
Group files and contents (Group SharePoint pages and file library)
You can share and work on common files in the group’s file library. In the group site, you can also create lists and share topical contents by using news posts. The group owners can expand the group site with required applications.
- Learn about a SharePoint site
- Upload and share files in the Share point library
- Sync files and folders
Organising the group’s tasks (Group Planner)
With Planner, it is easy to share, arrange and view the progress of the tasks. In the task center, you can assign group members to tasks and sort them into buckets. You can display the tasks in various ways to help you view the progress and carry out the tasks.
- Browse to the Planner application
- Select the Planner of the Group
- Add tasks
- Assign members to tasks
- Sort tasks to buckets
- View the progress of the plans
The group’s common videos (Group Stream)
You can share and view videos in Stream. Videos recorded in Teams Group channel are saved for later viewing in Stream.
- Browse to Stream and select the correct group.
- Download videos to groups
- If needed, create channels into the groups if you want to sort the videos
- Assign the videos in the channels.